Lithuania Roman Catholic Parish Registers
(in the Lithuanian State Historical Archives and Online)
In general, the birth registers of Roman Catholic churches in Lithuania were in the Russian language from about 1848 until after WWI. [The Lithuanian State Historical Archives refers to these as birth registers, but they are actually baptism registers.] During that time frame, a typical entry in the birth register would include the following information:
- date of baptism;
- place of baptism; name of baptizing priest;
- name of baptized infant;
- names of parents of baptized infant;
- social class (peasant, townsperson [burgher], noble) of parents of baptized infant;
- in later registers, if the parents were peasants: name of the district of the parents;
- a statement that the parents were lawfully married;
- date of birth;
- place of birth (usually including a statement naming the parish in which it was located);
- names and social class of godparents (and sometimes names of their home villages).
Each link below provides an example of transcription and translation of an entry in a Russian-language birth (baptism) register of a Roman Catholic parish in Lithuania.
Tverečius RCC 1859-04-02 Baptism Record (in Russian)
Lieplaukė RCC 1883-02-08 Baptism Record (in Russian)
Copyright © LithuanianCatholicAncestorSearch.com. All rights reserved.